An additional element in people’s portfolio of tools to access information is more traditional – whether they have a subscription to a cable or satellite television service. A shift in how people watch TV is underway, as the new Pew Research Center data suggest 15% of American adults are now “cord cutters” – that is, they indicate that they once had a cable or satellite TV connection, but no longer subscribe. Another 9% of Americans have never had a cable or satellite subscription at all, meaning that a total of 24% of Americans currently do not subscribe to cable or satellite TV in their homes (76% of Americans subscribe to pay TV service at home).
There are generational aspects to this phenomenon, as young adults are the least likely age group to have a cable or satellite subscription. Some 65% of those ages 18 to 29 have cable or satellite service at home, compared with 73% of adults ages 30 to 49 and 83% of those 50 or older. One-sixth of young adults (16%) report they never had a cable or satellite subscription, while 19% “cut the cord.”
For these young people, alternative access to content is crucial. Some 75% of young adults without a cable or satellite subscription say they can access content they want to watch either online – perhaps by binge watching their favorite shows through an online service like Netflix, Hulu or Amazon Prime – or via an over-the-air antenna. Overall, 64% of those without cable or satellite TV cite alternative access to content as a reason they do not have cable or satellite service at home.
Income also comes into play for those without pay TV. Some 63% of homes with annual incomes under $20, 000 have either cable or satellite service, compared with 86% of households whose annual income exceeds $75, 000. Cord cutters are more likely to live in lower income households as well. In homes whose annual incomes are $20, 000 or below, 21% have cut the cord, while 14% of households above that income threshold have cut the cord.
In the context of their other digital access tools, cord cutters – as well as those without cable or satellite services more broadly –exhibit slightly different adoption patterns from the population as a whole. For those without cable or satellite service at home:
- 70% have smartphones;
- 54% have a home broadband subscription;
- 25% are “smartphone-only.”
In terms of overall “advanced internet access, ” (that is, a broadband subscription and/or a smartphone) those without a paid TV subscription show about the same level as the population as a whole – 80% for them, compared with 81% for all adults.
For “cord cutters, ” (the 15% of all adults who once had a cable or satellite subscription but no longer do) the access patterns look like this:
- 75% have smartphones;
- 58% have a home broadband subscription;
- 27% are “smartphone-only.”
Just over four-in-five (84%) have “advanced internet access, ” that is either a smartphone or home broadband subscription.
Those without pay TV – and cord cutters especially –rely on a different mix of access tools for digital content, a mix that emphasizes smartphones over a home broadband subscription. And these preferences are driven in many cases by affordability. Some 71% of those without cable or satellite say these services are too expensive for them, with 74% of cord cutters saying this.
HD Antenna Indoor and Outdoor With Amplifier for Over The Air HDTV Broadcast Waterproof UV Resistant Watch HDTV Without Cable Box or Satellite 50 Mile Range UHF and VHF Frequency 10 Ft Coax Cable
Supreme Amplified Boostwaves® Razor 30 HDTV Indoor Flat Leaf Antenna With RG6 Cable. Cut The Cable Cord get up to 60 HDTV Channels for FREE